If a genie were to suddenly appear in front of me and ask for one wish, I would wish for the ability to splurge on all my favorite food while staying fit and healthy without having to exercise at all. I’m sure most of you would’ve wished for it too. Sigh… If only things worked out exactly how we wanted them to.
You know what, though? Staying fit doesn’t have to be so difficult. We can get that perfect figure we always wanted! Stop saving those workout videos on YouTube and reading articles about burning all those calories whilst lying on the couch. Get up, and get moving! With a little patience and perseverance, that summer body we have been postponing for next summer can be achieved. No weights and equipment required, your will to workout is everything you need! Let?s delve right into the dos.
- Drink plenty of water: Remember as a kid you thought alcohol was a grown-ups drink? We think otherwise. Water is the grown-ups? drinks. Water does wonders, it boosts health and skin. Drink at least six to eight glasses of water in a day. Make a habit of drinking a glass of water before every meal. You eat less than usual, and well, you drink at least three to four glasses out of the eight.
- Do your chores: If you have a habit of lazing off of household chores- don?t. Start simple by making your bed as soon as you get up. Household chores are known as moderate exercises and they help you shed off that second helping?s calories.
- Follow a healthy diet: Among all, controlling what you eat is the toughest amongst everything if you ask us. By ?tough? we mean excruciating. You have to lose some to gain some though, right? Cut unnecessary sugar and carbs intake in all your meals. When you crave for something sweet like cakes or donuts, settle for a bowl of fruits instead. That will fulfill your cravings and is healthy.
- Set a goal: While you?re at it, keep your eyes on the prize. Yes, your fitness will be your prize. Set a goal you want to achieve in a certain period so that you know where you are headed. That will help you keep your progress at check.
- Stay motivated: Keep your motivation up the whole time. It might be a bit unnerving in the beginning, but, remember, all good things take time and effort and nothing that comes easy is worth it. You?ll get there for sure, we believe in you!
Now, onto some huffing-puffing and sweating, shall we? Here we have 5 simple yet effective exercises that have proven itself over time.
- Squats: Squats are the most basic of exercises. Start with your feet shoulder length apart. Place your hands on your hips, or put one hand on your hip and hold the other one up in a superman pose, whatever works best for you! Then bend your knees with your butt sticking out, and a straight back. Now, sit on an imaginary chair, get up, and repeat it. Start with 10 reps and 2 sets then increase the number as you go on.
- Planks: Start by placing your forearms on the floor with your arms parallel to your body and elbows aligned below your shoulders. Try to hold that position for 20-30 seconds. Repeat it 3 – 4 more times resting for 15 seconds in between.
- Push-ups: Start in a traditional plank position. Then lower your body by bending your elbow until your chest touches the ground. Push yourself back up. Do a set of 30 reps, and do 2 more sets with 15 seconds of rest in between.
- Jumping Jacks: Start by standing straight with a correct posture. Then, jump up! While you jump, part your legs to shoulder-length and take your hands up in a swift semi-circular motion. Do 3 sets with 30 reps.
- Mountain Climbers: Start with a traditional plank. Lift your right knee and bring it toward your elbow, then return it to the starting position. While you do so, simultaneously bring your left knee toward your elbow. Repeat the process for 45 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, and do 2 more sets.
Remember to wear comfortable clothes while you work out. If you have a couple (or dozen) sets of gym attires with quippy quotes, put them to good use now.
The most important thing to remember is to not get overwhelmed with the thought of having to work out. Take one step at a time if you think it will be a lot for you. One tiny step adds to a thousand more and sets you up for success. You?ve got this!
Remember those cute clothes that used to fit you but don’t anymore? Maybe it’s time to bust them out for you are going to be able to rock them in no time!